Thursday, October 14, 2010

Something Shared

I recently received Jon Eldredge's (Ransomed Heart) September Newsletter and there was a part of that newsletter I just had to share. This excerpt begins with a conversation he was having with God.

"Every joy is deeply opposed."

"Wait. What? It is? Every joy is deeply opposed? . . . "That changes my perspective on everything. I mean, if that's true, then You are doing so much, for all the joy we do receive. And, we are being so naive when we see joy as something that ought to come pretty easily. Like, its not really central to what's going on. Not a major point but kind of a sideshow, so it shouldn't be so hard. [Don't you feel that way about joy? Isn't this how you feel about finding someone or getting a job or just having a good weekend?] But then it is hard, and it doesn't happen, and that raises all sorts of questions, especially about you, God."

"Whoa. [I am now sitting back in my chair, talking to myself.] This is huuuuuuuuuuge.

"Think about it, friends - what are the assumptions you are making about joy, and unanswered prayer, and God's heart towards you? Do you see joy as central to this Story, absolutely central, and therefore deeply opposed in your life - not by God, but by your enemy? Do you see how disappointment, wrongly interpreted, clouds your relationship with God? Lets in a sense of betrayal? Do you see how believing otherwise would change so much of your perspective?"

"Dear friends, joy is central and joy is opposed."

"If your world view does not hold this at its core, you will come to some terrible conclusions about life, and the heart of God, and "what he allows," and prayer, and how much you matter to him, and a host of other things. Ask Jesus."

My thoughts: The last paragraph is soooo true for me - I have fallen into this trap on more than one occasion!!! Sometimes I even stop and take up residence in this pit!! (Why pray? God doesn't answer my prayers; I don't pray enough, attend church regularly, skip my quiet times so I don't deserve . . . ) But there is joy in my life - and God is fighting hard for every moment of that joy I experience regardless of where I am in my walk with Him.

Thank you, Jesus, for caring about me and the little things in my life every day regardless of where I am in my walk with You. From this day forward I want to be a part of overcoming the opposition to the joy You want me to experience instead of just being a bystander.

"I may never march in the infantry, ride in the calvary, shoot the artilary. I may never fly over the enemy, but I'm in the Lord's Army, Yes Sir! ."

No comments: